When spring arrives, we appreciate the blossom on the trees and the warmer temperatures, nature stirs and we look forward to getting out and about minus coats and scarves.
However, when spring has sprung your property may have become a hotel for unwanted guests.
What are the common spring pests?
Spring pests love to reside in:
- Air vents.
- Roof spaces and attics.
- Cavity walls.
Pest control Hampshire and Berkshire experts like Pest Control Berkshire recommend the following steps to prevent spring pests.
These should diminish the need to call in expert help for issues including wasp nest removal and seeking information about how to get rid of rats.
20 helpful tips:
- Check bedding, carpets, curtains and bed frames for bed bugs or fleas.
- Wash furnishings and vacuum regularly to prevent infestations.
- Repair damaged roof tiles and fill in any cracks with roofing cement. Many pests need just a few centimetres to access your property.
- The overhang of roofs offer perfect shelter so check that you have no nests in these spaces.
- Install mesh airbrick ventilation covers. These provide an effective barrier.
- Install a fly screen to prevent them getting in.
- Keep work surfaces clean and free from spillage and crumbs.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Don’t leave pet food out when temperatures are high.
- Do not overfill bins.
- Reduce the amount of wooden furniture in your property.
- Store items in plastic boxes not cardboard, pests use this as a food source.
- Seal entrances and windows to your property.
- Clear debris out of drainpipes and check for leaks which need repairs.
- Rats and mice love birdfeeders, ensure that they don’t wander indoors.
- Keep compost in a container with a tight lid that pests won’t be able to wriggle in to.
- Look around for nests in the undergrowth and in trees.
- Check corners of your property, shed and garage for wasps and hornet nests.
- Repair damage to the shed and garage.
- Keep logs away from your property, elevated preferably.
Of course, as pest control Hampshire and Berkshire experts appreciate sometimes the work must be remedial rather than preventative and in these cases professional services should be sought.
As an example, when faced with bees, hornets or wasps nest removal it’s tempting to try over the counter insecticides or to take drastic measures like setting fire to a nest to end your problem but this is not the correct procedure.
The nest needs to be carefully moved by experts with the right techniques and tools, your unwanted flying guests should be saved not decimated.
How to get rid of rats and mice? That’s a question that professionals have experience and the leading treatments to answer. DIY remedial actions won’t fool our clever rodent friends.
Trust pest control Hampshire and Berkshire firms with spring pest removal.